Ignored, Maligned, and Forgotten Music

Facebook
Subscribe via RSS

Building a Play List - Various Artists

-
Unknown

Let’s examine how I listen to music for a moment. Some days I like to skip from song to song, adding to the list whatever the song that’s playing brings to mind. I started this little trip down the primrose path with Run Chicken Run from The Felice Brothers. The line “push had come to shove” took me to MonkeyJunk and When Push Comes to Shove. The chorus says, “When push comes to shove, I ain’t the one who’s going down.”

Naturally, that took me to Coming Down to Beijing from Brain Failure. We’ll ignore the Bill Cosby Brain Damage side track I took that led to The Dentist because this isn’t a comedy blog. When Dicky Barrett complains to Brain Failure about living in the suburbs I immediately think of Gidget Goes to Hell from Suburban Lawns. (Who doesn’t, right?) That, naturally, leads me to Surfin’ Bird because Gidget makes me think of The Trashmen. (Well, not really, but surfing does.)

To follow something like that you need something equally as goofy. What better than Rubber Biscuit? And now I’m thinking about eating so I add I Eat Cannibals. Naturally, cannibals make me think of Stranded in the Jungle. That takes me to The Steve Miller Band’s Jungle Love which makes me think of rain which gives me Morphine and You Look Like Rain, naturally, as Mr. Miller states that “everything looks better when wet”.

So there you have it: the first ten songs I listened to this morning. And that, my dears, is why I don’t get anything done at work. If you’re curious, number eleven was Bobby Darin’s Blue Skies because “I can tell you taste like the sky ‘cos you look like rain”. What would yours have been?

My Latest Music Page Updates