Ignored, Maligned, and Forgotten Music

Facebook
Subscribe via RSS

Sixty-Minute Man - Billy Ward & The Dominoes

-
Unknown

If ever you needed proof that your parents or grandparents had minds and habits just as filthy as your friends, have a listen to Billy Ward's Sixty-Minute Man. He wrote the song with Rose Marks and made it a 1951 hit with The Dominoes. It's considered one of the seminal realy rock and roll songs and was one of the first cross-over hits.

I have to tell you, it this was the sort of thing to which my kids were listening rather than the comparatively tame Elvis Presley I might, indeed, have had a problem with rock and roll coming out of whitebread, post-WWII America. Okay, I lie. I'm willing to bet their parents had seen and heard worse over the course of the 40s, no matter the genre.

Still and all, Mr. Ward had a pretty high estimation of his prowess and openly courted women who were seeing others. It's a pretty in-your-face song that was a hit at a time when it was just barely not scandalous for a woman to wear pants. That's pretty impressive! It's also been covered many, many times and appears to be a favorite with a capella men's groups. Have a listen and let me know what you think. Also, a tip of the top hat to +Dirk Talamasca for introducing me to the song.

Sixty Minute Man by Billy Ward & The Dominoes on Grooveshark

My Latest Music Page Updates