Ignored, Maligned, and Forgotten Music

Facebook
Subscribe via RSS

Once in a Lifetime - Talking Heads

-
Unknown

Sometimes I forget that I'm not twenty any longer. Then I'll bump into a song that I love tagged with a reminder of how old it is. Once in a Lifetime is one of those songs. The story goes like this:

Once upon a time, cable television was a bit of a novelty. Then some geniuses decided that they should take this new-ish medium and make a station that played music videos all day, except for short breaks for news about music. It was the most amazing thing I had seen in my to-that-point short life. One of the videos that enjoyed heavy rotation was Once in a Lifetime.

That was 32 years ago.

A better part of the story goes like this: Brian Eno and David Byrne make amazing music together. The Talking Heads recorded some of what they wrote and Once in a Lifetime still stands as the best of those songs.

Now story time is over. You young whipper-snappers have a listen and find out what MTV was for, 'way back then, and then realize that David Byrne and Brian Eno are still making amazing music together. Go find it.

Once in a Lifetime by Talking Heads on Grooveshark

My Latest Music Page Updates