Ignored, Maligned, and Forgotten Music

Facebook
Subscribe via RSS

You Pick the Winner: Antibalas vs. Isaac Hayes

-
Unknown

I've been listening to a fair amount of Antibalas lately and, as a Manu Dibango fan already, was excited to see them incorporating makossa into their numbers. It took about thirty seconds of Makossa #3, however, before I realized that it was not the ever-talented Mr. Dibango the needed a head-to-head match-up with the New Yorkers. It was Isaac Hayes and the iconic Theme from Shaft.

Normally I'd include both songs in a playlist below, but for some reason the recording of Makossa #3 on Grooveshark cuts off at 1:23. The video below gives you the full, five-minute treatment. And then I figured you'd need a video for Shaft, too, because, well, it's Shaft. Note that the version in the opening credits for the film are a little different, and a little faster, than this one (which is the one I have), but if you haven't seen the film and don't understand just what a BAMF he is, go see it. Now. I'll wait. Can you dig it?

I almost forgot to invite you to tell me which wah-wah pedal you like best. That is, after all, the entire point of You Pick the Winner. Do share, my dears. Do you have a nostalgic Richard Roundtree connection to Isaac Hayes or does Anibalas take that same funk-filtered sound, wrap it around makossa, and steal your love?

My Latest Music Page Updates