Ignored, Maligned, and Forgotten Music

Facebook
Subscribe via RSS

Songs My Kids Like: Ghost of Stephen Foster – Squirrel Nut Zippers

-
Unknown

As you may imagine, music plays pretty constantly around my house. If I’m not listening to a little bit of everything my husband has something a little more hard-core on for our enjoyment. But on those occasions when my kids aren’t around music they sing their own. What comes out of their little mouths, like Ghost of Stephen Foster, can be a big surprise.

This is one of those times when a parent can really feel proud: the tiny ones learned an appreciation of neo-pseudo-swing early and it has stuck with them. For every time they subject me to Top 40 pop I find a way to get them in my car and wield my mp3 player with skill and subtlety to broaden their captive little horizons.

I thought I’d start this series as a way to share with you my little successes (along with songs more songs I love). Ghost of Stephen Foster gets to be first because the video played as much a part in my children’s love of the song as the lyrics, the horns, and the plunking bass. That gives me an excuse to share it with you! At least it’s one thing I’ve done right as a parent. I’ll be going back to label a few other songs I know I’ve posted, as well, so keep an eye on the Songs My Kids Like series!

My Latest Music Page Updates