Ignored, Maligned, and Forgotten Music

Facebook
Subscribe via RSS

Shake It Out - Florence + the Machine

-
Unknown

I’ve gushed about Florence + the Machine here before but I wanted to post yet another example of the huge sound that keeps me coming back to them. Shake It Out starts out quietly and then builds and builds until you’re leaping about in sheer joy.

“It’s hard to dance with the devil on your back,” Ms. Florence sings, “so shake him out.” I don’t know about you, but by the end of the song I want to be spinning in wild, looping circles around some huge space echoing with the song. Florence + the Machine has that effect on me.

It’s not that they’re such a huge band. I can’t imagine how they’d achieve this sound live because Shake It Out, like much of their catalog, seems to be built of layers, a pile of the same people rather than a pool of different folks. I'd love to be proven wrong, however.

Shake It Out by Florence + The Machine on Grooveshark

My Latest Music Page Updates