Ignored, Maligned, and Forgotten Music

Facebook
Subscribe via RSS

True Confessions: Put Your Records On - Corinne Bailey Rae

-
Unknown

I know Put Your Records On was wildly popular a couple of years ago, more so in Corrinne Bailey Rae's UK home than here in the States but still it qualifies as a pop song. I don't care. I freaking love this song.

The sad thing is how long it took me to find it. I don't listen to commercial radio and the one time I heard it I misremembered the lyrics. Thus, by the time I got around to looking it up, I was looking for the phrase "girl, put your red dress on". There are a lot of great songs out there about red dresses (and, no, Lady in Red is not one of them) but none of them is Put Your Records On.

At long last, I bumped into the song again and finally got it straight. It's lovely to hear someone that sings instead of letting some computer do all of the work for her, and to hear someone celebrating playing records and favorite songs.

While I generally find Corinne Bailey Rae described as a "Northern Soul singer", for some reason Capitol Records has her listed as Hip Hop, I presume only in the US. Now that I've finally tracked down Put Your Records On I wanted to share it with you in case you, too, missed it. If you like this one, try Steady As She Goes from the same album.

Put Your Records On by Corinne Bailey Rae on Grooveshark

My Latest Music Page Updates