Ignored, Maligned, and Forgotten Music

Facebook
Subscribe via RSS

Sugar Rum Cherry - Duke Ellington and Wynton Marsalis

-
Unknown

Let's try a jazzy take on a classical holiday favorite: Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies as interpreted by Duke Ellington. As I'm going to take tomorrow off (I won't be home much and certainly you all have better things to do than spend your Saturday waiting for my erudition and fabulous taste) I thought I'd give you a two-fer.

In this case, you get not only Duke Ellington and his Sugar Rum Cherry but Winford Marsalis with the Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra doing a slightly more hep version of the same song with bongos. I don't know about you, but I like Sugar Rum Cherry more than the original and not just because it would taste better. Let me know what you think!

I'm going to wax philosophical, here on a holiday season Friday night. I was looking at my post list, enjoying how much some of the weirder songs I've posted have been heard, when I realized how happy it makes me to know that not only are there still hundreds of songs I want to add to this running list (as we approach 900 posts) but that I keep getting new music from wonderful people.

So there's my holiday message to you all: thanks for being along for the ride and I hope you've as much to be happy about this season as I do.

Sugar Rum Two-fer by legbamel on Grooveshark

My Latest Music Page Updates