Ignored, Maligned, and Forgotten Music

Facebook
Subscribe via RSS

The Bank Robbery - Miles Davis et al

-
Unknown

Usually when I post an "et al" title I mean that I'm posting several versions of a song. In this case, it's a single song but with such a stellar group of talents performing it that I couldn't fit them all in the title. Not only do you get smooth Miles Davis trumpet but there's distinctive John Lee Hooker guitar, Taj Mahal humming identifiably, and Earl Palmer, Roy Rodgers, and Tim Drummond. With a crew like that, how could you miss?

You may or may not be shocked to learn that this bunch recorded for the soundtrack of a movie from 1990 you may not have ever seen. I certainly haven't, most likely because it stars Don Johnson. If you're curious, it's called The Hot Spot and it was directed by Dennis Hopper. Personally, I just enjoy the soundtrack without watching the movie, no matter how much I liked Jennifer Connelly in Labyrinth. None of that is either here or there. The point is that you should enjoy the song and ponder with me how such a talented group of jazz musicians got roped into recording wonderful stuff for such a turkey of a movie. If you can figure it out, let me know!

My Latest Music Page Updates