Ignored, Maligned, and Forgotten Music

Facebook
Subscribe via RSS

Related or Not: SCOTS and Ana Popovic

-
Unknown

I know realistically that Southern Culture on the Skids and their admission that Daddy Was a Preacher but Mama Was a Go-Go Girl had nothing to do with Ana Popovic who sings a conversation based on the question How'd You Learn to Shake It Like That?. But the first time I heard the latter my mind fully expected her to finish the chorus with the SCOTS title.

I don't know if you're familiar with the ever-so-talented Ms. Popovic but her album "Still Making History" came out last year and How'd You Learn to Shake It Like That? grabbed me from the very first. She's got serious guitar chops and a distinctive but not unpleasant voice, the sort of whisky-and-cigarettes twang that makes you want to hear more.

In truth, the first time I heard this one I thought she'd make an excellent Catwoman. Songs like Is This Everything There Is? reinforce that thought. And naturally she'd fit right in with Southern Culture on the Skids. I think an Ana Popovic cover of Daddy Was a Preacher but Mama Was a Go-Go Girl would be wildly entertaining.

So what do you think, related or not? I apologize for the sound quality on the SCOTS track. The only other upload Grooveshark had was a live one with a lot of blather. It's still fun.

My Latest Music Page Updates