Ignored, Maligned, and Forgotten Music

Facebook
Subscribe via RSS

Hootchi Cootchi Coo - Taj Mahal

-
Unknown

Lest you think that Taj Mahal is a one-trick blues pony, I offer you a fantastic version of Hoochi Coochi Coo, that great R&B oldie from Hank Ballard and the Midnighters. As much as I like the original, Taj Mahal sped it up a bit and gave it some serious boogie potential. That's why I'm sharing his cover with you today although I do like both versions.

I'll bet you thought I wasn't going to make twenty posts this month, didn't you? And yet here I am with another fantastic song that I doubt you ever heard. It's all part of the service, here at The NPJ. Let me know what you think. For some reason Grooveshark is being difficult about letting me have the URL for the original, though it'll play there, but you'll have to find The Hoochi Coochi Coo on the list of all their great doo wop songs. In case you're wondering, they did The Twist first, before Chubby Checker.

My Latest Music Page Updates