Ignored, Maligned, and Forgotten Music

Facebook
Subscribe via RSS

California Über Alles - Various Artists

-
Unknown

Iconic songs get covered and punk is no different than any other genre in this respect. For today, let's take The Dead Kennedys and their Biafra extravaganza California Über Alles and see where it went. I've got Vitamin L, who did some interesting things with the song, They Might Be Giants, and even a weird glee club thing heavy with tympani that I can't decide if I like.

Naturally there was more! I left off the live Chumbawumba cover that had painfully-bad sound quality and The Delgados who weren't that great. But you can still hear Sheep on Drugs take on the song, electronized as it is. Six Feet Under made the list, too, because I always get distracted being concerned about the health of the singer's larynx with such bands than I do with the song so I can't tell if it's any good.

The other song comes from the best band name I've seen this week: Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy. Again, they've taken the song in a very different direction that really works with the fury of the original. Outside of the Dead Kennedys original it's my favorite version on this list. Do you have a California Über Alles cover that I've missed?

My Latest Music Page Updates