Ignored, Maligned, and Forgotten Music

Facebook
Subscribe via RSS

Message of Love - Jimi Hendrix vs. The Pretenders

-
Unknown

I’m not going to make this a round of “You Pick the Winner” because who the hell can compete with Jimi Hendrix, though I would actually love to hear from someone who would vote for The Pretenders on the strength of this song, if one of you happens to be reading this. If it’s you please do share your reasoning. Personally, Hendrix seems so in command of the song and this is such an anti-hippy-sounding sort of free love song that I can’t help but love it. Regardless of which you like better I found the juxtaposition of these two songs so interesting that I wanted to share.

By now you might have realized that I regularly sort through song titles looking for connections to find instances like this where songs with the same name go in much different directions. But in this case I discovered that the two have very different themes but some lyrics that could work in either song. And that Chrissie Hynde can sing “I love you” seven times in a row very quickly indeed. Please note that I've excluded the Journey song of the same name as, well, it stinks. You're welcome to disagree with me, of course.

My Latest Music Page Updates