Ignored, Maligned, and Forgotten Music

Facebook
Subscribe via RSS

Swinging on a Star - Bing Crosby and Bruce Willis

-
Unknown

Today’s song comes with a movie recommendation, free of charge. That’s because the first time I remember hearing the wonderful Swinging on a Star it was as performed a capella by Bruce Willis and Danny Aiello while robbing a museum in that goofy, over-the-top film Hudson Hawk. I should immediately have known it was a Bing Crosby hit.

In part, I enjoy Hudson Hawk because they out-geek even me when it comes to musical standards. They time their robberies not by stop watches but by singing the hits of yesteryear because they know the exact length of each version. I may know a lot about different covers of various swing standards but I couldn’t tell you how long each track lasts without pulling up my media player.

So if you’ve missed what I think is one of the funniest Bruce Willis movies made (and just about the only one in which Sandra Berhardt gets to really show her true colors) hunt it down and watch it. To get you in the mood, here’s Swinging on a Star. “Bunny, ball ball!”

2 Responses so far.

  1. I remember this from some cartoon when I was a kid! Thanks for reminding me!

  2. Unknown says:

    You're welcome, Mouse, and thanks for stopping!

    As a bonus, one of the tracks is not, in fact, performed by the person listed. Post the answer here, anyone, and you get a cyber-cookie!

    (It's just a little bonus to see if you're all paying attention. I'll link to you in the post if you add the right answer here.)

My Latest Music Page Updates