Ignored, Maligned, and Forgotten Music

Facebook
Subscribe via RSS

Civilization - David Byrne

-
Unknown

I don't know why I like David Byrne so much. It isn't like he has such a lovely voice that he could sing the phone book and I'd listen, all dreamy-eyed. But I consistently find myself drawn to his music, from the Talking Heads days all of the way through his latest Brian Eno collaboration.

I can only presume it's the combination of quirky lyrics and popping up in unexpected places, like with Forro in the Dark or that great Money song with NASA et al or with Dizee Rascal and The BPA.

If that isn't enough links for you, here's a prime example of the "quirky lyrics" portion of my fascination. Civilization starts with knives and forks and take a tour of a lot darker and stickier corners of what David Byrne thinks makes us "civilized". His imagery is built around an awkward dinner date but, as often seems to be the case, the song goes a lot farther than the surface suggest.

My Latest Music Page Updates