Ignored, Maligned, and Forgotten Music

Facebook
Subscribe via RSS

Chant No 1 (I Don’t Need this Pressure On) – Spandau Ballet

-
Unknown

Because of my stated mission of ignoring popular songs (most of the time), I can’t possibly post Spandau Ballet’s biggest hit, True. Everybody knows that one still (although many people don’t realize that it’s a cover). Thankfully that doesn’t affect my favorite of their songs, Chant No 1 (I Don’t Need this Pressure On). This one dates back to 1982 and, while well-known in New Wave circles, never reached the pinnacle of popularity to which True brought the band a year later.

For those of you who missed New Wave in the 80s (either because you weren’t born or you didn’t care for it at the time), this Spandau Ballet song serves as a good primer: horns, unusual lyrics/vocals, and danceability. And because it’s been days upon days since we had a video I thought I’d give you a live performance so that you can enjoy the 80s fashion that went with the song, as well. I kept the album version because the horns didn't make it into concert. You must know by now what a sucker I am for horns.

My Latest Music Page Updates