Ignored, Maligned, and Forgotten Music

Facebook
Subscribe via RSS

Songs by the Numbers

-
Unknown

For this, my 500th post, I thought I'd share a slew of songs. But what to post for such a nice, round number? It took me a bit of pondering before I finally realized what was needed. I compiled a play list today of all of the songs I had that included a number in the title. It turned out to include one hundred songs exactly. That seemed to me an interesting enough coincidence for a post, and a perfect match for this milestone.

Of the 100, seventeen began with actual numbers, including two versions of 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover (Paul Simon and Throat Culture) and four songs whose titles were just numbers (1-2-8 by The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Prince’s 7, 19 from Paul Hardcastle, and Phoenix’s 1901). Two were phone numbers and one included a zip code. Heck, I've even posted 60 Revolutions. Thirty-five were various pieces of classical music that I won’t bother including. Another eight were different version or portions of the same song, such as Come On In Part2 and Part 3 by RL Burnside. For some reason Part 1 doesn’t seem to exist even though the album is named “Come On In”.

At any rate, I thought I'd offer you some of the fruits of my labor as a reward for sticking with me through this long and often winding journey. Thank you, dear listeners! I wish I could have included Two in the Bush (Is Worth One in the Hand but, alas!, no one else appears to find that song as entertaining as I do. Where possible, I've included the version from the album on which I own the song. I tried to mix them up to give you a feel for what my typical listening session sounds like. Enjoy!

My Latest Music Page Updates