Ignored, Maligned, and Forgotten Music

Facebook
Subscribe via RSS

Total Life Forever - Foals

-
Unknown

I've been listening to Foals today, trying to decide if they're a sign that the 80s New Wave sound is coming back into vogue. (Please, lord, not another Vogue, though.) Sometimes they sound remarkably like The Cure, particularly Two Steps Twice but on other songs, like Total Life Forever have a more generic 80s sound with Casio synths, plinking guitars, and angsty, geeky vocals. It just so happens that I generally like that combination, having grown to musical maturity over the bridge from punk to New Wave, which makes me predisposed to like Foals, at least some of the time. Then again, I used to like The Pet Shop Boys an awful lot. Suburban angst doesn't work on me like it used to, now that I've shed most of mine.

I know that Foals is dangerously close to pop, having charted a few times in the UK and all, but I don't think they're quite there yet. I still don't know if their popularity heralds a return to the Pretty in Pink era but I'm willing to listen until the answer becomes clear.

One Response so far.

  1. I can't wait to get my ears around the new album. I listened Antidotes to death. It sounds a bit more varied too - have you heard the Spanish Sahara? It's more like Sigur Ros than Foals.

My Latest Music Page Updates