Ignored, Maligned, and Forgotten Music

Facebook
Subscribe via RSS

Songs My Kids Like: Shortnin' Bread - Various Artists

-
Unknown

There are few things that make a not-pop music snob happier than to sing an old folk tune along with The Cramps with her kids wailing back-up. Give it a try sometime and see if it doesn’t give you a lift on a rough day.

Of course it could just be The Cramps’s version of Shortnin’ Bread, which we tend to sing at the top of our lungs while leaping about the house like mad people, but I’m guessing my little guys howling, “Put on the skillet,” has a lot to do with it.

I could hardly leave you all with a single version of the song. It’s been around for quite a while, you know. You'll find here The Cramps, of course, Taj Mahal, The Ink Spots, and The Beach Boys for your entertainment.

I've included The Andrews Sisters on this one as well, which definitely counts as a cover. You can hear the conscious imitation of "colored" pronunciation in their version. It's an interesting interpretation, however, and has a lot of the Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy to it. Considering the historical context, I'm willing to overlook the condescension that I read into the performance and enjoy the song itself. I hope that you will, too.

Shortnin' Breads by legbamel on Grooveshark

My Latest Music Page Updates