Ignored, Maligned, and Forgotten Music

Facebook
Subscribe via RSS

Watermelon Man - Various Artists

-
Unknown

I think it's about time for a groovy little jazz standard. Today, let's enjoy Watermelon Man, from such diverse sources as Sly and the Family Stone, Woody Herman, Herbie Hancock, and Dave Benoit. Certainly, such a list would be incomplete without a fabulous version from Miles Davis and a wailing, horn-filled cover by Maynard Ferguson. Even Jimmy Smith has gotten in on the watermelon action and Julie London has some words to add to the the horns in her own version. (Note: the songs don't appear on the play list below in this order.) I didn't include the King Curtis version of this classic, as I just posted his Watermelon Man a few days ago. At any rate, enjoy the many takes on this jazz classic and drop me a note if I've neglected your favorite artist's interpretation.

My Latest Music Page Updates