Ignored, Maligned, and Forgotten Music

Facebook
Subscribe via RSS

Chewing on Tinfoil

-
Unknown

Stu Daly with the Irish ska-punk band Chewing on Tinfoil dropped me a kind note, with their debut album "Get Rich or Try Dyin'" attached. (That's my favorite kind of note, by the way, should you feel the sudden desire to send me one of your own.) At any rate, I've been listening to them for three weeks, now, trying to decide how much I like the album. Hubby, by the way, immediately demanded that I share the album and has been happily playing it for folks, particularly Blood 'n' Sweat 'n' Tears, which showcases the lovely accents.

Dancefloor stands as my favorite of songs on the album, however. Chewing on Tinfoil does best with slower or shorter songs, I think. They tend to over-emphasize the beat on harder, longer songs, which makes them seem repetitive if you're not focused on the words. Perhaps my preference for horns makes it seem to me that some of those songs lack a bit of oomph. Under the Lamppost is an exception to this rule, though, offering a mellow ska beat and some thoughtful lyrics. All in all, it's a solid first effort well worth getting.

If you want to have a listen for yourself, try these three songs. If you like what you hear, you can head over to Quote Unquote Records and download the album. You can donate to the band, while you're there, to help them keep making music and maturing their sound. You can, of course, wander by their MySpace profile as well (look out, there's a Canadian band called Chewing on Tin Foil, who have skipped the ska part of ska-punk and also have released one album).

My Latest Music Page Updates