Ignored, Maligned, and Forgotten Music

Facebook
Subscribe via RSS

Jump - Van Halen & Aztec Camera

-
Unknown

For those of you who don't remember Van Halen with David Lee Roth in the lead, this song will act as a good introduction. That's not why I've chosen Jump for today, though. The Aztec Camera cover of the song came to my attention and I thought the contrast would be interesting for you. It takes the relatively-frenentic tone of the Van Halen version and inserts a more-appropriate melancholy that allows you to appreciate that the lyrics are not about jumping up and down, dancing, but about jumping off of something like a building or a bridge. David Lee Roth sounds like he's having fun, but Roddy Frame manages to give the impression that he's given the lyrics a lot of thought and genuinely washes his hands of the subject. That is what I wanted to share--the way that a cover song can completely change your perception of a song.

My Latest Music Page Updates