Ignored, Maligned, and Forgotten Music

Facebook
Subscribe via RSS

Three Cool Cats - Various Artists

-
Unknown

I came about Three Cool Cats completely backwards: the first version that I heard was Three Cool Chicks from the 5678s. It seemed vaguely familiar, and a little digging led me to the Ray Cooder cover from 2005 and then the original from The Coasters, which was the B side of the Charlie Brown 45 from 1959. Apparently, The Beatles snuck in a cover version a few years after that. In my opinion, theirs is a weaker copy and was something that they should not have attempted, but you can make up your own mind on that score.

Unfortunately, Grooveshark didn’t have the original song and the videos on YouTube left quite a bit to be desired in sound quality. I have included the video for Sha Na Na’s cover of Three Cool Cats, mostly because I swear they recorded it on the Sesame Street sound stage while Big Bird was sleeping but also because it's an interesting version.

My Latest Music Page Updates