Ignored, Maligned, and Forgotten Music

Facebook
Subscribe via RSS

The Show - Doug E Fresh and Slick Rick

-
Unknown

I’m in a nostalgic mood today, and nothing says “break dancing in the lunch room” to me like the combination of Inspector Gadget theme song and Doug E Fresh. To this day, a year short of the song’s 25th anniversary, I can’t hear someone say, “six minutes,” without thinking of The Show. Generally, I resist alerting Doug E Fresh to the fact that he’s on, but sometimes I do so without thinking.

Out of curiosity, I looked up the recording history of the man and discovered that he was on American Idol in 2007, reliving his past glories. He’s still around, and he’s a Scientologist who had a track on their all-star album (along with Isaac Hayes and Chick Corea, of all people). I’m not making any judgments about Scientology, tempting though it may be. It does bring to mind another old-school song, though: Living Color’s Cult of Personality. Then again, it may be that the song’s been on my mind since Obama’s inauguration. Since I’m critiquing neither religion nor politics on this blog, I’ll just leave it at that. I still love this song.

Buy The Show

My Latest Music Page Updates