Ignored, Maligned, and Forgotten Music

Facebook
Subscribe via RSS

Competition Song - Pennywise

-
Unknown

While I generally avoid politics on my blogs, I can't help but find the lyrics to Pennywise's Competition Song particularly appropriate in the Hamas/Israel/Palestine conflict. Consider:

We separate ourselves by the color of our skin
By the country where we're born and the god that we believe in
We fight amongst ourselves, we obliterate ourselves (yeah, yeah)
We fight amongst ourselves, we obliterate ourselves (yeah, yeah)
And we compete until we die, even though we don't know why
We believe in ancient lies
And we compete until we die.
I can't help but think of this song when I hear of conflicts over territory and religion, especially so in this most recent flare-up of an on-going hot spot. Pennywise has captured a major source of frustration for people around the world who attempt not to identify themselves thus. Competition Song is pretty deep, belying the shallow reputation that punk usually has.

Competition Song by Pennywise on Grooveshark

My Latest Music Page Updates