Ignored, Maligned, and Forgotten Music

Facebook
Subscribe via RSS

Peter Gunn

-
Unknown

As a child of the 1980s, I spent my fair share of quarters playing Spy Hunter at arcades and local convenience stores. The game appropriated Henry Mancini's Peter Gunn for its theme song, and firmly established the song in the hearts and minds of a new generation, even if most of us didn't know what it was at the time. Of course, I'm a fan of spy music anyway.

Older folks are likely familiar with this song as the theme song for the suave and sophisticated detective Peter Gunn, as performed by Henry Mancini and his orchestra. Duane Eddy had a huge hit with his twangy take on the song as well, while Dick Dale nailed the surf rock possibilities.

Then there were the Blues Brothers version and Art of Noise, with Duane Eddy. I uncovered this last during one of my frequent trips to The Hype Machine. If people weren't still intrigued by this instrumental set piece, they wouldn't still be posting about it, would they? I knew it couldn't be just me.

And I couldn't take skipping one of the best versions just because I couldn't find anywhere to hear it for free: The Blues Brothers.
Boomp3.com
Buy the Henry Mancini version.
Buy the Dick Dale version.
Buy the Duane Eddy version.

My Latest Music Page Updates