Ignored, Maligned, and Forgotten Music

Facebook
Subscribe via RSS

La Di Da Di - Slick Rick & Doug E. Fresh

-
Unknown

I'm feeling old-school tonight so I'm reaching way back to 1985 for Slick Rick (then known as MC Ricky D) and Doug E. Fresh. La Di Da Di came out on the B side of The Show but, despite the "six minutes" ear worm the latter engendered, I think it's a more fun song.

La Di Da Di has been sampled and referenced by everyone from Beyonce and PSY to Sublime and Mos Def. It's also been covered by Snoop Dogg and Korn. If you're looking for a building block to basic 80s hip hop knowledge, you can't beat Slick Rick and Doug E Fresh.

The best part of the song, however, is the silly story it tells of a day in the life of Slick Rick. If you want more early hip hop (and who doesn't?) I've got 29 more songs that'll take you back to the days when you could understand every word and the backbeats were simple. In the meantime, have a listen to La Di Da Di and tell me if you think this was a true story.

La Di Da Di by Doug E. Fresh on Grooveshark

My Latest Music Page Updates