Ignored, Maligned, and Forgotten Music

Facebook
Subscribe via RSS

Force Quit - Damn Glad

-
Unknown

Damn Glad has a new album out, their third, titled "It's Always Something". I've been giving it a good listen and was struck by a few things.

First, this is some good, quality rock in the late-70s tradition. Even the voice of Matt Kurzban hearkens back to good ol' stadium rock of yesteryear. The trio knows how they want to sound and they seem to achieve it pretty consistently.

Second, Force Quit is followed by Make It So. Now, in listening to the former you discover that they're referring to forcing a program closed with the task manager. The latter has absolutely nothing to do with Star Trek, as far as I can tell. And yet the combination of force (as in The Force) and Captain Picard's signature phrase make me believe that these are geeks of the deepest stripe.


For all I know, Damn Glad has never watched The Empire Strikes Back nor would they know Data from Wesley Crusher. But in my mind they're hard-rockin', sci-fi fans which endears them to me as much as their retro sound. If these two don't interest you, I'll direct your attention to Please, Louise, which will have you tapping your toes, bopping your head, and trying to place exactly who Mr. Kurzban sounds like. And then you'll realize it's a song about a shotgun wedding, essentially. Talk about retro!

My Latest Music Page Updates