Ignored, Maligned, and Forgotten Music

Facebook
Subscribe via RSS

Kick Out the Jams

-
Unknown

Once upon a time I thought Blue Oyster Cult invented Kick Out the Jams. The concept of cover songs hadn't occurred to me, at that tender, naive musical age. When I heard the MC5 original I thought it was a cheap rip-off of a band I loved. Then I discovered that they'd done it first.

To tell you the truth, I'm surprised anyone bothered. I'm just not a fan of the original. But the song was so iconic that it's been covered many, many times with all sorts of various changes to the lyrics. Naturally, I feel the need to share with you all, my darlings. I like to bring you nice things.

To that end, I'm bringing you not only the MC5 original Kick Out the Jams and the Blue Oyster Cult version, but Moguai, Henry Rollins, Rage Against the Machine, The Presidents of the United States of America, and, much to my surprise, Africa Bambaataa. That last is a great cover so if you don't feel like enjoying the whole list do at least listen to it and Moguai who took the song in a whole different direction.

Kick Out the Jams x7 by legbamel on Grooveshark

My Latest Music Page Updates