Ignored, Maligned, and Forgotten Music

Facebook
Subscribe via RSS

How Come My Dog Don't Bark - Dr. John

-
Unknown

I offer you today a song that goes from a silly, goofy little version of The Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime across a cheatin' heart and into psychotic, murderous territory. This version of How Come My Dog Don't Bark (When You Come Around) comes from Dr. John but it's a cover of the Prince Partridge original.

The song starts with a suspicion: I have the meanest dog ever but for some reason he lets you in the yard without a fuss. It's over-the-top with examples of how nasty this hound really is. And then the truth comes out: I've been spying on my yard and I've seen you and my wife. And my dog.

But then it takes a screeching left turn and descends into death threats both detailed and explicit. It might be one thing if they were simply against the betraying friend but the dog and the wife get treatment almost as bad. What I thought was a light-hearted song turned out to be something much darker.

Let me know if you find Dr. John's version of How Come My Dog Don't Bark (When You Come Around) as creepy as I do. Am I overreacting or do you find it surprising that anyone, much less a number of lesser-known bands that you can find on YouTube, would cover this song?

How Come My Dog Don't Bark (When You Come Around) by Dr. John on Grooveshark

My Latest Music Page Updates