Ignored, Maligned, and Forgotten Music

Facebook
Subscribe via RSS

Pitch a Wang Dang Doodle

-
Unknown

I wrote a little article about Wang Dang Doodle today in honor of the fact that, well, I love this song. And of course that meant that I had to gather together every cover of the song on which I could get my sticky little digital finger. That means that you, my darlings, get to enjoy them, too. So have a listen to the Howlin' Wolf original, KoKo Taylor's wonderful cover of it, and covers of Wang Dang Doodle from The Pointer Sisters, the Grateful Dead, Eric Clapton (I believe the first version below is with Howlin' Wolf but it's not labeled as such) and Booker T and the MGs. Naturally, you'll find more than that. Ted Nugent recorded a version of it, and Eric Clapton did another cover with Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck. Dr. John is here, as is a wonderful version from Sam Moore with Keb' Mo' and Angie Stone, and one from ZZ Hill. Anyone familiar with this blues standard knows PJ Harvey covered it plenty so you'll find a version from her, too, though I'm not a big fan of her voice. There are a few more miscellaneous covers, as well. All in all, it's a pleasant way to spend a Sunday morning, dancing in my chair and exclaiming, "No way!" as I uncover another cover. Let me know if your favorite is here or if I've missed it.

My Latest Music Page Updates