Ignored, Maligned, and Forgotten Music

Facebook
Subscribe via RSS

Buckshot, LeFonque, Adderley, and Brownie

-
Unknown

So, I bumped into Branford Marsalis's now-defunct Buckshot LeFonque again yesterday and then Les McCann's Buckshot and LeFonque immediately afterward. For those of you not in the know, the name comes from Cannonball Adderley, who used it when performing with a band on a different label back in the 50s. Despite lengthy searching I could find no story behind his choice of the name but I still think it's a little flash of brilliance.

Regardless, I still want to share a little of each with you. And so I've included, chronologically, Les McCann (post-stroke so he's not on keyboards but it's a great song), Buckshot LeFonque performing James Brown Pts 1 and 2, and Tribute to Brownie from the album for which Cannonball Adderley adopted the nickname in the first place. That last is a tribute to Clifford Brown so I tossed in Gerkin for Perkin which, thankfully, was a tribute to a baseball player so I didn't have to keep going backwards in time.

My Latest Music Page Updates