Ignored, Maligned, and Forgotten Music

Facebook
Subscribe via RSS

Chant No. 1 - Spandau Ballet

-
Unknown

While everyone and their brother and sister knows Spandau Ballet for their cover of True that was not the song that brought them to my attention so many years ago. It was, in fact, Chant No. 1 that got me listening to the band. With a thoroughly unhelpful name like that you may not know that you’ve heard the song but it was a big hit back in the day.

For me, Chant No. 1 is a quintessential New Wave song, one that anyone interested in the genre ought to know. It’s got fantastic horns, synths, and some great electro-hand claps to help you keep the beat. It is, at heart, a song about love going wrong and the chorus leaps into my head whenever someone insists on making unreasonable demands on me. I don't need this pressure on, indeed.

Speaking of which, the next post will the the 600th on The Not-Pop Jukebox. I haven't the faintest idea what to post for that but it does seem like a bit of a landmark. If you've got suggestions about what I can do please do share them!

2 Responses so far.

  1. They have been one of my greatest influences why I have decided to be a drummer. Legendary and totally inspiring.

  2. Unknown says:

    It's funny that they dropped off the radar so completely. They did some fantastic work. Thanks for posting!

My Latest Music Page Updates