Ignored, Maligned, and Forgotten Music

Facebook
Subscribe via RSS

Pick Up the Pieces - Average White Band

-
Unknown

From time to time I find music in my possession and I’ve no idea from where it came. For example, I keep an auto-list of the songs to which I’ve listened fewer than three times. (I believe in giving every song a chance to convince me that it’s good. Many of them fail but sometimes I get a surprise.) Yesterday up popped Average White Band with Stop the Rain. It’s not that I don’t like AWB in general (who wouldn't love Scottish funk from the early 1970s?) but I don’t particularly care for the song and I don’t own a single album by the band. In fact, it appears to be the only of their songs I do own and came from an album called “Feel No Fret…and More” (of which I can’t recall hearing and from which I own nothing else).

Out of curiosity, I decided to give them a listen today. I discovered that their only #1 hit, Pick Up the Pieces, has appeared in about a million places. I've included it here because I'm curious to see how many of you react as I did: "It's that song!" Obviously I've found a hole in my music collection that needs filling with some white-boy funk (and, yes, they did record a version of Wild Cherry's Play That Funky Music, White Boy) from Average White Band. They also have a pretty great version of Lime and the Coconut taht you can hear at Grooveshark.

My Latest Music Page Updates