Ignored, Maligned, and Forgotten Music

Facebook
Subscribe via RSS

The Piano Has Been Drinking (Not Me)

-
Unknown

While I'm a fan of Tom Waits in general, it's mostly because he writes such quirky lyrics. The Piano Has Been Drinking (Not Me) stands as one of his best but I would never have posted it here because it drags so sadly. Along came Dan Hicks and the Hot Licks to play the song with Mr. Waits. Suddenly, they transformed it to a tongue-in-cheek bit of piano bar mockery. It's not quite up-tempo but it's no longer an incoherent rant from a drunkard but a...well, it's still pretty much incoherent but with a sly eye-wink tone that's a great deal more fun. For contrast, I'm including both versions here. I'll leave it up to you to decide which fits your mood better on this Friday night.

My Latest Music Page Updates