Ignored, Maligned, and Forgotten Music

Facebook
Subscribe via RSS

Spirit in the Sky - Various Artists

-
Unknown

I may not get religion, but I've always loved Spirit in the Sky, perhaps because it's so unfailingly cheerful and dying and determinedly non-denominational. For whatever reason, I find it a fun and toe-tapping good time and, of course, have been having a field day listening to different versions of the song, from The Blind Boys of Alabama to Nina Hagen, with The Eagles, The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, and a bunch of others thrown in for good measure. Personally, the Nina Hagen cover slays me with it's 80s-synth-pop sensibilities, but I think the one from Doctor & The Medics may be the best of this bunch. Don't worry, I included Norman Greenbaum, too.

My Latest Music Page Updates