Ignored, Maligned, and Forgotten Music

Facebook
Subscribe via RSS

Java Jive - Various Artists

-
Unknown

I blame Java Jive for my life-long obsession with coffee. I've always loved this song, especially the Ink Spots original from 1940. I've gathered half a dozen cover versions, here, because, well, I'm in a caffeinated kind of mood. The Puppini Sisters slowed the song down to melancholy speed, Manhattan Transfer smoothed out the soul, and Richard Thompson included it in his ridiculously-ambitious "1,000 Years of Popular Music". Apparently Queen Latifah also recorded a version, but I haven't been able to lay my digital hands on it. You may remember the song from coffee commercials, although I don't remember, and couldn't uncover, which brand used the "a cup, a cup, a cup" line. Whatever your brand, pour yourself a cuppa and have a listen to this celebration of caffeine.

My Latest Music Page Updates