Ignored, Maligned, and Forgotten Music

Facebook
Subscribe via RSS

Laundromat Blues - The 5 Royales

-
Unknown

As a part of my non-series about naughty old songs, I’d like you to give The "5" Royales a listen. Laundromat Blues ostensibly touts the wonders of a woman’s washing machine. If you’re a Monty Python fan, insert "wink, wink, nudge, nudge" here. The "5" Royales released the song in 1953, at the height of their musical power, and if this doesn’t prove that folks were doing less-than-chaste things (and being proud of it) then I don’t know what would.

Regardless of my personal pet peeves regarding the innocent tales of yesteryear, The "5" Royales don’t get enough credit for the influence they had on the soul, doo wop, rock, and R&B folks that soon followed. (And, no, I don't know why they have quotation marks around the five. If you do, please let me know!) If you haven’t seen or heard these gents before, go out and find more of their terrific music to enjoy.

My Latest Music Page Updates