Ignored, Maligned, and Forgotten Music

Facebook
Subscribe via RSS

Hot Rod Lincoln - Various Artists

-
Unknown

I'm still stuck on cover songs, my dears, and today we've got a great car song: Charlie Ryan's Hot Rod Lincoln. Naturally, I've begun with the version I know best, Johnny Cash, and included some well-known versions, Junior Brown and Asleep at the Wheel in particular. Then I added George Thorogood because, well, how could I resist?

But the reason I really wanted to share this list with you all was the Les Claypool cover of Hot Rod Lincoln that took me completely by surprise. The album was some promo for NASCAR racing on Fox TV, which seems like a rabidly commercial move for a guy so interested in experimental music. I suppose even a creative genius has to eat. And, while you can tell he's in there, Claypool stayed faithful enough to the original that NASCAR fans may not even have realized it was no country music star performing the song. have a listen and let me know what you think.

My Latest Music Page Updates