Ignored, Maligned, and Forgotten Music

Facebook
Subscribe via RSS

You Better Watch Yourself, Bub - Nellie Lutcher

-
Unknown

This morning the ever-creative Mike Olson on my beloved local public radio station played a set of what I'm calling "women behaving badly" songs. Included in that groups was a fantastic version of You Better Watch Yourself, Bub. (If you have a chance to hear Mr. Olson's show, Into the Music, take it. He generally does themes either for the whole show or for each segment, although he almost never draws attention to that fact.)

Unfortunately, I could not get the name of the artist who performed that cover. I do, however, have the fantastic Nellie Lutcher to share with you so that you can get an idea of how it sounded. Indeed, were it not for some minor lyrics updates I might have thought it was Ms. Lutcher's version. Enjoy the sparse piano, the sweet Nellie voice, and the cautionary lyrics. Let me know if you've heard a cover recently, as Google assures me that it hasn't happened, despite the evidence of my ears. And Mike Olson, get a web site with a play list, would you?! That would save me an awful lot of trouble.

2 Responses so far.

  1. J. Dinsmore says:

    Just came across your site as I search for Catherine Russel's cover of "You Better Watch Yourself, Bub" that I heard on our local (Montreal) Jazz station this afternoon. Maybe this is the one you heard?

  2. Unknown says:

    It was not but what a fantastic version. Thanks so much for sharing it! I'm definitely going to have to listen to more.

My Latest Music Page Updates