Ignored, Maligned, and Forgotten Music

Facebook
Subscribe via RSS

Oh Bondage (Up Yours!) - X-Ray Spex

-
Unknown

From time to time, I write notes on a tickler list to remind myself of why I wanted to post a particular song. For this, my big 400th post, I thought I’d share a recent example (well, from the beginning of last December) connected to the posts that were generated from them. Often, I’ll simply wing a post but some come from the long-standing love of a song that I really would like for more people to enjoy. I’m all about sharing, you know. When I add a song to that list, I’ll often write a sentence or two intended to remind me of just why I wanted to post the thing in the first place. Sometimes a whole paragraph will spring to mind but more often, my notes look more like this.

I’ll admit that there have been days when I cannot remember what the heck I meant by some of these cryptic tidbits but generally they’ll trigger a full-bore gush over a particular song. I try not to fawn too much on this blog, and I believe I’m relatively successful, but some songs just make my ears go gooey. Those are the songs that end up in the tickler file like these. Henry Rollins's version of Black Coffee and the Lee Atwater cover of Tee-Ni-Nee-Ni-Nu I own in a format that I can't upload because my CDs are simply too old and the fact that I can't find them on-line makes it clear that they are, indeed, not pop.

Oh, and Happy Valentine's Day. I suppose this song works for my holiday selection, as well.

  • Elevator Man (DE unlikely sex symbol but this is definitely an eyebrow-waggler)
    Food & Creative Love (I can’t help it, I’m hungry…among other things.)
  • Ruby Soho (Yes, it’s Rancid. Yes, it sounds like The Clash.)
  • Youth Culture Killed My Dog (A lament.)
  • Black Coffee (It’s Rollins on Black Flag. A classic rant.)
  • The Great Atomic Power (A great SCOTS cover, but where’s the original?)
  • Oh Bondage (Up Yours) (Dare I? This must come with a PG-17 tag.) [Note: see below, and be warned.]
  • Doggie Bounce (Speaking of parental guidance…)
  • Te-Ni-Nee-Ni-Nu (I must upload this somewhere. People need to hear it.)
  • Swingin’ with Tiger Woods (The Big Swing) (What, I can resist the hot topic?!)

My Latest Music Page Updates